Know Your Role

If you find out some good information or write a guide, post it here.

Moderator: fleat

Ichy

Know Your Role

Postby Ichy » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:25 am

I remember way back, when I was first researching which org to be with, one of the main things that swayed me to CoH was the idea that in teaming with Org mates I wouldn't have to wait until the high levels for everyone to get used to their profession's uses in teaming. I recall seeing a most wonderful section on our old homepage that detailed a working model of precisely what each and every team member should be accountable for. Regardless that I didn't know whether I would be in CoH (although I really wanted to be!) I immediately adopted it and I was definately not disappointed, it has served me better than I could have hoped for, unless others are not playing their roles, as well, or following a good team ethic.

Enough Blah Blah Blah from me... Without further ado, I copy and paste for you the official CoH....

------------------------
Team Overview

1. Tank - The players that takes the most damage. Called a tank because you need to be one; good AC, high HP, and dish out lots of damage. Tanks shield the rest of the team from enemies.
Enforcers and Soldiers are typical tanks.

2. Puller - The player that brings the mobs to the team. Goes up to the mobs, get aggro hopefully get only 1, and comes back to team back few rooms. If there are more then 1 mob (ADD), the tank should get both aggro. Puller should be fast, and have some defenses.
All fighting profs, make good pullers, from ADV to SOL, any race.

3.Healer - Pretty straight forward job.
Your job is NOT to fight, but to keep, the Tank/Puller alive, also keep the rest of the team alive. Do a favor, if you decide to be a healer,
HEAL, if the tank dies, the team dies....
DOCs make perfect healers, MA, and Traders do a good job too.

4.Crowd Control - Your job is to keep the ADDS (adds are additional mobs that get pulled) calmed down. adds = Death. Use calms, mezzes, holds, roots, etc. to get the job done You start to fight after all adds are calmed.
NTs, Crats, Traders, do this job GREAT!

5. Artillery - Deal damage, as much and as fast as posible, makes the mission end much quicker. Any job, after doing its roll becomes part of the bombing squad!, (i.e. puller, done pulling, do dmg).
NTs, SOL, MAs, Traders... in short all can do this great fun job,
***BUT there is no reall need for artillery***
a mission can be won easy without this job, but it makes life much easier!!

------------------------
Beginner stuff, I know, but there are new players entering AO all the time who need to see this, and I wanted to share with others what has made this game keep on working for me this whole time. It's Old School but it still works like clockwork now that some of the Nerfs have been tweaked out. My MANY thanks for whoever posted this up on our old main site (where I took it off of).

And remember folks, don't be afraid to send others here to read this before you kick them from your teams, it's very possible that they just aren't used to the efficiency. Kindly educate them and, if it is well met, you'll have made them a much better player and they will remember you for it. :)

fleat
Site Admin

Postby fleat » Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:28 pm

also.. remember the Artillery, doesnt want aggro...thats what the Tank is for.

oh and a sticky for you
I wonder at times if people know how to read....and if so... if they know how to turn the pages.
War may sometimes be a necessary evil. But no matter how necessary, it is always an evil, never a good. We will not learn how to live together in peace by killing each other's children. - Jimmy Carter

Gnoodle

Postby Gnoodle » Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:00 pm

*searches the guide for Mp's role* Nope...missing...Engi's gone as well. Seeing the only open spot for those two is "Artillery"...Just toss us in there, and remember "***BUT there is no real need for artillery***"
Anyone mind if I write up a little "pet class" role? Bah, ill do it later anyway...*snicker*

Other wise good guide. Adresses the roles quite nicely...in the very stereotypical way of play, but n00bs dont need to know all the other ways do they?

-Soup
Retired ^_^

fleat
Site Admin

Postby fleat » Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:05 pm

This is the setup that seems to work great for RK missions.
Now... IN S.L. its diffrent. Hunting is diffrent..pet users are great hunters., and the SL Missions might require some tweaking from the same-ol-same-ol teams.
I wonder at times if people know how to read....and if so... if they know how to turn the pages.

War may sometimes be a necessary evil. But no matter how necessary, it is always an evil, never a good. We will not learn how to live together in peace by killing each other's children. - Jimmy Carter

fleat
Site Admin

Postby fleat » Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:32 pm

This is the setup that seems to work great for RK missions.
Now... IN S.L. its diffrent. Hunting is diffrent..pet users are great hunters., and the SL Missions might require some tweaking from the same-ol-same-ol teams.

zlanth

Postby zlanth » Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:16 am

Gnoodle wrote:*searches the guide for Mp's role* Nope...missing...Engi's gone as well. Seeing the only open spot for those two is "Artillery"...Just toss us in there, and remember "***BUT there is no real need for artillery***"
Anyone mind if I write up a little "pet class" role? Bah, ill do it later anyway...*snicker*

Other wise good guide. Adresses the roles quite nicely...in the very stereotypical way of play, but n00bs dont need to know all the other ways do they?

-Soup

Actually, I'm sure you as an MP, and engies or any other pet class, has been used as puller. I've also been on teams where the engie's pet is the tank.

What makes me curious is, Adventurers are not listed anywhere in the "HEAL" part. Neither are MP's.

I also find that a pet-class really shines when there is a badly needed role, and no one to fill it. Example: a few times out at ninjadroids, I didn't have a doc, I did have 2 MP's. Since I was doing a lot of tanking at the time (no tank class around and I was in GA), they just stuck their heal pets on me :).

Lasman
Leader

Postby Lasman » Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:42 am

omgz omgz...how could you leave fixer out! imo Fixers are the best pullers in the game, High evades and HoTs are perfect for when you get agg but doc cant heal coz he with rest of team, also we are like Supa fast so get the mobs kwiker.

Also fixers are great dmgers, will OD most other profs.

Las 8)

Ichy

Postby Ichy » Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:33 pm

I didn't write the guide, bud. Just copy and pasted it off the old site ;) Fixers are rockin pullers, for sure :)

chigga

Postby chigga » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:50 pm

nah agent in mimic trader fills up all those roles at once

esp. the tanking part =)
This is my rifle.

There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My rifle is my best friend. It is my life.

I must master it as I must master my life.

My rifle without me is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless.

Tenry

Postby Tenry » Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:21 pm

Adventurers rock....as Fleat and Rangen can attest to once we get up there in level we make perfect healers and with Hi nano init we can heal as good as most doc's....the god thing about having an adv on your team is we can also put out some damage as well maybe not supa hi numbers but wehn you toss out 3 1.5k hits in a round well hey that helps bring down the hp on any mob.

Tenry

fluxstreamer

Postby fluxstreamer » Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:29 pm

im tank puller healer mezzer and artillery all at the same time ( oh and running an umbral now)

i believe u missed out a type when ya put that list up

"Allrounder"

^^

zlanth

Postby zlanth » Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:47 pm

I think it would be better to say, that some professions can fill in for another if its not there.

Like I've been on teams with Zlanth where there was no tank. Since my manex would pull fierce aggro, and I was also pulling, I'd take over for the tank role. Once we got an Enf/Soldier on the team I'd just stick to pulling :).

Return to “Knowledge Center”